Living in New Jersey my whole life, you stumble across some things and places that people visiting or even live in Jersey don’t know about or haven’t tried it yet. Here are a couple of my favorite places you have to check out in NJ !
1. Coney Waffle has a couple locations along the Jersey shore. They are most known for their “coney waffle” which is a couple scoops of ice cream in a waffle. They are also known for their extravagant milkshakes. Each milkshake has tons and tons of candy and other items strategically places on top. For $15, you can easily share thing with someone else! WARNING: it does get extremely messy so make sure you grab a lot of napkins and wipes.
2. Stumpy’s Hatchet House is the place to go if you’re looking for a unique time. The name says it all, its a place where you throw hatchets at a target. It is BYOB if you’re interested but you definitely don’t need alcohol to have fun here. You do have to sign a waiver and learn the basics of throwing a hatchet for safety reasons. It’s also a really good workout because you’re constantly throwing a 10 pound hatchet and bending down to pick it up. A two hour session is about $40 but don’t be surprised if you want to stay longer.
3. If you’re a fan of eating and especially eating a lot, check out McLoone’s Pier House located in Pier Village in Long Branch. The restaurant is located right on the beach and has beautiful windows so you can take in the ocean views. We usually make a reservation for brunch on a Sunday. The price is around $35 per adult and includes either a mimosa or Bloody Mary. Definitely go on an empty stomach because it is an all-you-can-eat buffet style with food ranging from your typical breakfast foods like waffles and omelets to a raw bar and pasta. Don’t leave without dessert too ! The price is definitely worth it in my opinion and you also have the table reserved until 2pm when they close.
Here’s a look at the Sunday Brunch Menu !
4. If you love trying different kinds of tea, Teaberry’s Tea Room is the perfect place to go. The tea room is located in Flemington, NJ. My friend’s and I make an effort to go every couple months to enjoy a nice brunch. They have over 100 selections of teas to choose from. For your first time here I would recommend getting Milady’s Tea. This includes finger sandwiches, a scone with clotted cream, lemon curd and fruit preserves, followed by an assortment of tiny desserts and gelato or sorbet. It also comes with a pot of a tea of your choice. When we go we all get different teas and let each other try them so we get a taste for other kinds since there are so many ! My favorite was definitely the white coconut. The tea is served with milk, honey, lemon or sugar to add in. Check out the list of all the teas they offer here.
In the lobby there is an upside down Christmas tree hanging from the ceiling that gets decorated different for every holiday. The best part is, there’s always different finger sandwiches to try and depending on the holiday/season, they have special scones to try as well other than plain.
5. Battleview Orchards is probably one of my favorite places to go during the fall. This one of the best place’s I’ve come across where you can pick your own fruits.
- Sour Cherries
My family and I usually go here every fall to pick apples. They have about 14 different types of apples to pick. They have different sections of apple trees so there’s always apples to pick when you get there, even at the busiest times. If you get a chance before or after you do your picking, you have to stop at their country store. This is where they sell fresh fruits, vegetables, pies and everything in between. Definitely don’t leave without getting a warm apple cider doughnut for the ride. You won’t regret it !
If you’re looking for something to make with all those apples you picked, check out this delicious dutch apple pie recipe I use!